Fast Forward With The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé
On the face of it, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé might be another cool compact sporty offering from the German automotive house, but this particular vehicle has a lot riding on its sweeping Coupé shoulders.
BMW Group New Zealand Managing Director Karol Abrasowicz-Madej talks about the importance of the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé in terms of attracting a new generation of BMW enthusiasts. The “digital natives, future makers, those that focus on not just driving pleasure, but also making a bold statement with the car they choose.
The 2 Series Gran Coupé is part of a new product offensive alongside the BMW 1 Series, reaching out to a new segment of BMW customers. We saw the potential in the segment and gave it a product with unique BMW flavour.”
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe is built on a front wheel drive platform with an all-wheel drive platform. And while this is not a new segment of course, it is a bold move for an automotive brand that has had such a long-term love affair with rear wheel drive.
Abrasowicz-Madej describes this move as a leap of faith. “The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe is the objectification of our own leap of faith in this new generation of trailblazers, jumping into a new segment with a product that truly stands out.”
And while of course he would say that he is correct, the 2 Series Gran Coupé truly stands out inside and out. And while some old school BMW fan boys might have their boxers in a knot about the new kidney grill, the chances are that they are probably still stuck on the rear-wheel-drive bit, but the thing is that this isn’t about old school. This is about the future.
And the low, rounded roofline and slim LED taillights, frameless doors speak to this modern intent on the outside, while inside a very cool illuminated trim showcases the meticulous layout of the driver-oriented cockpit and will have you feeling like you have teleported into a futurist sci-fi movie. A nice one without aliens and zombies though.
Of course, a vehicle isn’t just about looking cool, it’s also about moving and the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé achieves responsive agile handling through careful integration of its front-wheel-drive architecture with sophisticated chassis engineering.
The 2.0-litre TwinPower Turbo engine with a maximum output of 301 hp is combined with an 8-speed Sport automatic transmission and adjustable drive modes to cater for any driving situation.
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé pricing starts at $58,900 for the 218i and $92,900 BMW M235i XDrive.
Choose Your 2 Series Gran Coupé
218i Gran Coupé Sport Line Edition
– 17“light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 549
– 7-Speed Steptronic automatic transmission with double clutch
– Air-Conditioning, 1-zone
– BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line, window frame and air breather surround in black BMW TwinPower 3-cylinder petrol engine
– Cloth / Sensatec upholstery
– Connected Package Professional incl. Apple CarPlay
– DAB Digital Radio tuner
– Driving Assistant
– Exterior Mirror Package
– Interior lights package
– Interior trim finishers ‘Illuminated Berlin‘
– LED headlights
– Live cockpit professional incl. natural voice control, iDrive controller, touch operation on the Control Display and smartphone connectivity
– Luggage compartment package Wireless Smartphone Charging
– Parking assistant, incl. Reversing Assistant, Lateral Parking Aid, Rear View Camera and park distance control for front and rear
– Sport Line
– Sport seats for driver and front passenger
– Standard suspension
218i Gran Coupé in addition to 218i Sport Line Edition:
– 18” M light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 819 M
– BMW Head-Up Display
– BMW Individual headliner anthracite
– Interior trim finishers ‘Illuminated Boston’
– M Aerodynamics package, aerodynamic front and
– rear bumper trims, side sills
– M leather steering wheel
– M Sport Package
– M Sport Suspension
M235i Gran Coupé in addition to 218i Sport Line Edition:
– 19” M light alloy wheels V-spoke style 557 M
– Bicolour, with mixed tyres
– 8-Speed Steptronic Sport automatic transmission
– with gearshift paddles
– Adaptive LED Headlights with extended content+ Automatic air conditioning 2-zone with extended
– BMW TwinPower 4-cylinder petrol engine + Comfort access
– Electronic seat adjustment+ harman/kardon surround sound system+ Leather ‘Dakota’
– M Rear Spoiler
– M seat belts
– M Sport brakes
– M Sport Seats front and rear
– M Sport Steering
Find out more about the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe here.